Saturday, February 9, 2008

Collage

Drawing day thirty-six

I've been working, on and off, at a collage drawing. I've been doing these since the 70s (!!!) in one form or another, I like to do one now and then just because they're fun :)

Collage before

I begin with a magazine photo, usually of a face. I've been trying a full figure one this week, too, but I'm not sure if it's really going to work.

Collage during

Then I cut it up, this time into uneven strips. Sometimes I cut it into wavy strips, or little squares, or whatever else strikes my fancy.

Collage after

Then I draw over and around, through and beside, joining up some of the disconnected lines of the face, adding others, sometimes using what I've come to think of as my trademark crosshatching in the wavy shapes. Mostly I use black, some red, sometimes a little blue. Draw till it looks done :)

No comments: