Monday, January 11, 2010

Slow Stitching

I made this skirt on Christmas Day. I haven't made a garment for myself in about a year, despite the lengths of fabric stashed away meant for clothing. I got a bit burned out on the process, I think, making things to sell on Ebay and Etsy, always rushing, not taking pleasure in the actual making but focused on outcome.

I decide to slow down and enjoy the making, with no deadline. It would take as long as it took. I wanted to properly finish all the seams and make it look good inside as well as out - I don't have a serger/overlocker and while zigzag stitching the edges of the pieces works okay, it's not pretty.
It doesn't show when wearing the garment, but I know it's there and it bothers me. This skirt is a simple one, a front, a back, and a pocket in each side seam. I used french seams for the side seams with the pockets, but it bunches a little where the pockets meet the front and back. I may try a Hong Kong finish next time. The waist is elastic, no waistband piece, just the top turned over. I did machine stitch the hem (see aforementioned rush to finish, which was kicking in at that point) but I think I'll hand hem next time.

I am far more pleased with this skirt than I've been with a garment I made in a long time. And I didn't have to frog a single seam :)

The fabric is cotton from Tanzania, one of my long ago Ebay purchases (detail below).


An email friend named this process for me: Slow Stitching. Taking time over details, allowing it to take as much time as necessary, enjoying the process, pausing to breath and look out the window from time to time, putting it aside when I'm tired or had enough, no rushing. Breeeaaaathhhe.

Aaaah.

No comments: